There’s Good Rocking
Hurrah for the 8th of January. “Why the 8th of January?” they chorused.
It’s the birthday Of Elvis Presley and David Bowie of course. But as well as sharing the same date of birth there are several other Elvis/Bowie connections, here are 8 of them….
1) Bowie is quoted as saying “Elvis was a major hero of mine. I was probably stupid enough to believe that having the same birthday as him actually meant something.”
2) Both had tragedies with their brothers – Elvis’ twin Jesse, died at childbirth. Bowie’s half-brother Terry, was a schizophrenic who committed suicide in 1985.
3) They were both comic book fans – Elvis’s hair and capes were inspired by Captain Marvel, and both used a ‘Shazam’ style lighting strike symbol – Elvis for the ‘Taking care of Business’ logo, Bowie for Aladdin Sane.
4) Bowie’s manager Tony DeFries styled himself as a 1970s Colonel Tom Parker (Elvis’s notorious cigar smoking Manager) a factor in Bowie signing to RCA also Elvis’s label, and the DeFries Mainman Management logo being designed to look a cigar band.
5) The Kubrick Link – Elvis’s seventies shows started with “Also Sprach Zarathustra” from ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’. During the Ziggy period Bowie used the ‘Clockwork Orange’ version of Beethoven’s ‘Ninth Symphony’ for his intro’ music.
6) Apparently Bowie wrote Golden Years for Elvis but recorded it himself after Presley turned it down.
8) They’ve both recorded Beatles covers which are still in the vaults;
Elvis – Lady Madonna ( with Elvis seemingly ‘effing and jeffing’ around the ‘make ends meet’ line).
Bowie – Penny Lane (with an extremely flaky accent on ‘customer’).
And as if by magic….